Digital technologies and virtual care solutions have, in recent years, become a big part in how efficient, effective, and patient centric care is delivered. Nova Scotians have also embraced a digital healthcare approach to get the care they need.
As healthcare continues to evolve, with a greater emphasis on digital or virtual healthcare, we have worked with Nova Scotia Health to launch the Nova Scotia Provider Digital Health Toolkit. This resource is designed to serve as a central location for digital health and virtual care tools. Available to all healthcare professionals in Nova Scotia, the toolkit will be updated regularly so you have the knowledge and resources to be at the forefront of these advancements.
This toolkit is not just for physicians. Nurse practitioners, other healthcare providers, administrators and support staff are encouraged to access the information, which includes:
- Electronic Medical Records & Integrated Solutions: Find an overview of Nova Scotia provincial EMRs, information on provincially assessed Integrated Solutions, links to EMR best practices, provincial forms, links to vendor training, how to access electronic results as well as contact information and helpful links and external resources hosted by Nova Scotia Health, Doctors Nova Scotia, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Nova Scotia and the EMR vendors.
- Zoom for Healthcare: Discover valuable resources and tips for effectively utilizing Zoom for Healthcare in your practice. Access guides on setting up virtual appointments, patient resources, answers to frequently asked questions, educational modules on conducting secure video consultations and how to optimize your virtual care experience.
- Telehealth: Learn about the benefits of the Telehealth service, located at many Nova Scotia Health and IWK facilities, that use facility-based video conferencing equipment and resources to connect patients and health care providers. Access an interactive map to see where these services are available, register as a new telehealth client, and schedule a patient appointment with an existing telehealth client account.
- Virtual Care Nova Scotia: Stay up to date with the latest developments within the VirtualCareNS program. You can access information on application and onboarding to the Virtual Care Nova Scotia Team, as well as all the training supports needed to support your transition to virtual care delivery.
- Virtual Hallway: As we find more efficient pathways for specialist referrals - Virtual Hallway is providing to be a secure MD-to-MD consultation platform. This allows primary care providers to access specialist insight and advice in a timely manner over the phone. Access resources that include setting up an account, a demo video, browse the resource centres or connect with the Virtual Hallway Team for more information. In a Test&Try with the Nova Scotia Health Innovation Hub throughout in 2022, 84% of referrals were able to be avoided by leveraging Virtual Hallway and received a 4.9/5 satisfaction rating by its 600+ participants.
- Nova Scotia eReferral Resource Hub: Nova Scotia launched a new single-entry intake model for managing and coordinating referrals for surgical consults. This model is supported by an eReferral tool, a central intake office and a centralized wait list. The toolkit has quick access to tutorials, tips and information on this tool.
The toolkit is designed with the needs of healthcare professionals in mind. We encourage you to check it out by visiting http://nsproviderdigitalhealthtoolkit.ca. We are committed to continue updating and improving the toolkit and your feedback will help us do that. Feedback and suggestions can be emailed to NSPDHToolkit@novascotia.ca.