Behaviour change counselling is an evidence-based essential skillset that Primary Health Care (PHC) staff use in supporting patients to improve their health. We offer a number of practice support programs and are aligned with the Chronic Disease Management and Wellness Strategy for Primary Health Care. The goal is to develop a culture of self-management where Nova Scotians are the driver of their own health and wellness. The Behaviour Change Counselling Development Program (BCCDP) is designed for PHC providers to build their knowledge, skills, and confidence to work collaboratively with patients to support health behaviour change.
- All Staff Stream - The BCCDP is available to any NSH/IWK staff however it was originally developed for Primary Health Care staff.
- Physician / NP Stream - CME credited for Family Physicians and Nurse Practitioners.
Program (All Staff Stream)
There are three components to the program:
- Self-directed E-modules - A series of eight interactive, self-paced e-modules that build knowledge and skills in behaviour change counselling. Click here to register in LMS. Search "PHC" in LMS to find the modules and workshops. Open to all NSH/IWK staff.
- Virtual Practice Workshops - A series of 12 live group practice sessions. Participants will have the opportunity to practice the skills introduced in the self-directed e-modules.
- Resources and Tools - goal setting tools, summary handouts, skill specific desk cards and prompts.
Refer to the Virtual Training Pathway with 2023 Workshop Schedule or Virtual Training Pathway with 2024 Workshop Schedule to know where to start.
Family Physician and Nurse Practitioner (BCCDP) - Earn up to 42 certified Mainpro+ Credits
The Behaviour Change Counselling Development Program for Family Physicians & Nurse Practitioners provides education, training, and support for family physicians who are interested in supporting patients to effectively activate and sustain health behaviour changes to improve health outcomes.
The program uses a quality-improvement approach and includes three components that span over 12-weeks:
- 8 self-directed e-modules
- 3 self-directed action periods to integrate new learnings into practice
- 3 two-hour interactive virtual group workshops
The program runs virtually from September 7, 2023 - November 30, 2023.
This 3-credit-per-hour group and self-learning assessment program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Nova Scotia Chapter for up to 42 Mainpro+ credits.
BCCDP is an evidence-based approach originating in Nova Scotia. The training improves competency and confidence for health care providers in using Behaviour Change skills in their practice. Click below to read the full evaluation report.
Staff Team Development
Are you or your team having challenges implementing Behaviour Change skills into your work? Opportunity for support is available for leadership, staff, and teams who have started on their behaviour change counselling journey to help support integration of skills into practice. Please fill out this intake form to initiate your request.
Practice Support Tools
Check out the tools and resources below that you can access.